Twenty-four members of Dawn Ellison’s family have served in military service, most of them in time of war.
They started in the Civil War and carried the tradition through the Gulf War in the 1990s. Every one of them came back. They left such a great legacy of service that Ellison and a group of friends decided to play a major role in recognizing them, and so many others like them, including those who did not came back.
I’m installing a trigger warning into this edition’s Happy Trails for those easily excited or have heart conditions because what I’m about to disclose is shocking.
Huntley police authorities are investigating a man’s death that may have occurred in or near Sun City’s Prairie Lodge pool spa on January 4.
Letters for the week of January 28
No doubt you’ve heard the quote: “Move it or lose it.” Mayo Clinic, in their 2015 book on Healthy Aging, reveals the following startling facts: “Many of your basic bodily functions start to decline at a rate of about 1 to 2 percent a year after age 30.
If you ask any native, every day in California is sunny, even in the rain or the smog. Relatives beckoned and we said, yes, we will visit, but we will also spend time sightseeing, visiting Napa and Sonoma, and enjoying the spectacular views from Hwy 1.
There are two ways a municipality in Illinois can become a home rule community – by referendum among its residents, or automatically when its population reaches at least 25,000. If a town goes the population route, it has to prove that its population is above 25,000 using precise numbers. That means banging on doors and counting heads.
Anyone who owns a home loves to complain about property taxes. The protests ebb and flow year after year, almost on a schedule. They erupt whenever an owner or group receives a tax bill or their property’s tax assessment.
- From murder mysteries to HGTV
- Make your tub or shower non-slip
- Food you can take for “Granite”
- 13 Hours no secret, it’s a good film
- Ask an Angel: January 28, 2016
- Pancake Dinner
- Welcome a new president to the Celebrity Stumblers Club
- Did you know? A closer look at HCR
- Dancing With Tony Ocean & His Band At Sun City Huntley
- Keeping burglars out
- Words of a feather
- New officers elected for Sun City board
- A memorable pizza with a bit of Lemon on the side
- Hang Your Hat: January 14, 2016
- Maintaining your independence in 2016, part 1
- The Revenant: Despite Golden Globe awards, cannot recommend
- Up Woods Creek without a spoon
- Smoke detector smarts
- Raffle winners
- Ask an Angel: January 14, 2016
- Check These Out: From murder mysteries to HGTV
- Angler of the year